SPEECH OF HON’BLE LT. GOVERNOR-CUM-CHANCELLOR
LAUNCH OF AAPDA MITRA TRAINING PROGRAMME
INAUGURATION OF ATAL INCUBATION CENTRE AND AUDITORIUM-CUM-PLACEMENT CENTRE &OPEN AIR THEATRE
- Chief Secretary, Shri Naresh Kumar Ji,
- Principal Secretary (Home), Shri Ashwani Kumar Ji,
- Secretary Higher Education, Ms. Alice VazJi,
- Vice Chancellor, GGSIP University, Prof. (Dr.) Mahesh Verma
- Senior officers, Dignitaries and Community Volunteers of South West and West district.
Ladies & Gentlemen,
01. It gives me immense pleasure to launch the first batch of skill development training programme of community volunteers under the AapdaMitraScheme. The most challenging task, for any Govt., is to ensure prompt and proper response in face of a disaster. It is important that relief and rescue measures are provided spontaneously, in case of any emergency. The National Disaster Management Authority, has devised the AapdaMitraScheme –which means a friend in adversity, with an idea to develop spirit of volunteerism among more than 1,00,000 (one lakh) community volunteers across India. We are to empower the volunteers with basic knowledge, skill and understanding of relief, rescue, and emergency medical services at local level and to act as First Responder to the devastation caused by any emergency.
02. This initiative of NDMA, was perceived under the directions of Hon’ble Prime Minister of India with the goal to conserve and preserve every life, at any cost, in all spheres by providing them requisite security cover. This training will develop confidence and capabilities among AapdaMitra, to face any emergency suomoto till formal rescue operations is launched by the Govt. Agencies.
03. Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University has done excellent work in many fields. It is a matter of pride that GGSIP University has been entrusted with the responsibility of imparting skill development training to the community volunteers of South West and West districts of Delhi. I hope and have firm faith that the Centre of Disaster Management of the University is well equipped to accomplish this task of training AapdaMitra. The University has the distinction of training more than 5000 COVID volunteers, whose contribution during the COVID-19 pandemic was commendable.
04. Community participation, with requisite expertise and skill would be of paramount importance, in any vulnerable situation.With recent earthquakes seen in many parts of the world, it is the need of the hour to quantify the significance of adequate awareness and preparedness in the community. The role of community participation, specially of enthusiastic and energetic younger generation is very critical and can have tremendous impact in the protection of economic and human life.
05. It is a matter of pride that Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University has been conferred with A++ rating by the National Assessment &Accreditation Council recently. The University also has the distinction to set up Atal Incubation Centre under the Atal Innovation Flagship Mission, NITI Aayog, Govt. of India. This has been evolved to promote the culture of innovation and entrepreneurship amongst students and will go a long way in promoting innovation and skill. It will immensely benefit the younger generation by preparing them to become employers, providing jobs instead of seeking jobs, as envisioned by the Hon’ble Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi.
06. The University is also celebrating 25th year of its establishment and I am happy to see that it is working very hard to complete all the ongoing projects within the given timelines. I have been told that University has also completed the construction work of mega project of East Campus which will be inaugurated shortly. The Auditorium cum Placement Centre and Open Air Theatre is one of such project having facilities and infrastructure of International standards which has been inaugurated today. It will help the students and the University in many ways in their academic requirements within the complex of the University.
07. I have also been told that University Grants Commission, Govt. of India has involved every University in the G-20 University Connect Programmes. Under the umbrella of India’s G-20 Presidency, GGSIP University has planned more than 20 activities to prepare its students for the various conferences to be held at different locations on variety of topics. Some of the activities have already been undertaken which is a commendable initiative of the University and wish them all the very best in their endeavours.